A well detailed report filed by inghananews.com has unveiled the reason why Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital is called ‘Gee’.
The British firm, Gee, Walker & Slater Ltd., was contracted in 1952 to construct a new hospital complex which was completed in 1954. The hospital was named the Kumasi Central Hospital during the period of Prempeh II, the 14th Asantehene. The hospital was later renamed after Komfo Anokye.
Samuel Gee, whose name became synonymous with the hospital in Kumasi was the lead contractor for the project.
History has it that, Samuel Gee, after the construction of the hospital, attempted to pull out the Komfo Anokye sword, at times using heavy-duty machinery, but failed. He abandoned the idea after several efforts, because at each effort the sword showed signs of disappearance and reappearance, which frightened him.
In 1964, Muhammad Ali, the American World Heavyweight Boxing champion, on a visit to Ghana, had the opportunity to pit his strength against the sword. After several attempts, he gave up the idea.
Komfo Anokye’s sword remain in the ground, and is still pull-proof.